Thursday, December 22, 2011

Merry Christmas to me, too

image via ~K~

Three or four people wished me a Merry Christmas today. As you know, I don't celebrate Christmas, and this is where some people get sticky.

I think it's lovely. I always respond in kind: "Merry Christmas!"

You know that question you see sometimes: if you could have one superpower, what would you choose? Sometimes I think that I would choose the power to zap melodrama. I know that some non-celebrators bristle at the greeting of "Merry Christmas" because of the assumption or presumption that everyone celebrates or should celebrate Christmas. And I know some celebrants feel strongly about saying specifically "Merry Christmas" instead of a more generic "Happy Holidays" because of the opportunity it gives to emphasize the 'Christ' in Christmas.

Here's my take on this scene: you're in a good mood. Good enough, in fact, that you take the time to share some of your happy feeling with me. That's what it boils down to, right? It does if you let it. I don't care that you forgot for a moment that I'm Jewish, or that you never knew. I'm glad to see you happy, and appreciative that you want to share your happiness with me. I still won't be celebrating your holiday, but thank you for including me in the spirit of your season.

Or we could go with L's take on the season. She walked into the kitchen yesterday as I was warming traditional latkes for our dinner, and offered the following little nugget of wisdom:

Well, we don't need to 'better be good for goodness' sake,' because we celebrate Chanukah.


Merry Christmas, friends (if you want, that is).
_________________________
Flattr this Pin It